Hello, and welcome to today’s edition of the ProCEEd > Newsletter!
The past week has brought a few significant deals that involved Eastern European startups and bigger companies. Funderbeam, Vectary, and MEL Science have raised sizeable funding rounds, while Poland’s eBay alternative Allegro.pl was bought for $3.3 billion. Scroll down to check out the details!
After this issue, the newsletter will go on a holiday—in fact, by the time you read this I’ll already be trekking in Nepal. You can expect the next newsletter to land in your inbox on November 7.
Enjoy reading, and have a good week!
Estonia’s startup “stock exchange” Funderbeam has raised $2.6 million
‘Polish Ebay’ Allegro bought by private equity groups for $3.3 billion
Startups & Ecosystems
- Czech startup Kiwi.com aims to become your online travel agent of choice
- SBrick Plus, a small startup from Hungary that makes LEGO interactive
- Swiss-Lithuanian made Pigeon Scooter by Citybirds to hit the mass market in early 2017
- Serbia stages 130 events during Europe Code Week, enters top 10 countries
- Latvian heavyduty drone manufacturer Aerones Ltd. has successfully conducted an experiment of pulling a wakeboarder with a drone along the river Daugava
- Ukrainian-American Attendify has launches the industry’s first social lead retrieval app
Funding Rounds and M&A
- Russian fund Caspian Venture Capital has invested $50 million in Hyperloop One
- Estonia’s Funderbeam, a startup “stock exchange” built on blockchain, has raised $2.6 million led by Draper Associates and IQ Capital
- Russian-British MEL Science has raised $2.5 million so you can explode things with a chemistry set in VR/AR
- Slovak startup Vectary has raised $2.5 million and is moving to NYC
- Nextury Ventures and basketball player Linas Kleiza have unveiled their mutual 6-digit investment into Baltic Arrow, a car exchange platform
- Russia’s ComfortWay to receive a €73,000 grant from the Skolkovo foundation
- Russia’s TimeFlip has raised some €44,000 in exchange for a 10 percent stake in the company
- Russian medical app getbetter! has raised $250,000 from Guard Capital
- Russia’s FRII will invest some €217,000 in SiteSecure
- ‘Polish Ebay’ Allegro bought by private equity groups for $3.3 billion
- Yandex woos smartphone makers with AI, browser and launcher partnership programs
- The University of Latvia has received another donation worth €1 million from Mikrotik, manufacturer and distributor of wireless systems
- Polish billionaire Kulczyk looking at beer again, plans move into IT
- Microsoft and Sberbank will create a cybersecurity centre in Russia
- Yandex.Money has introduced money transfers via iMessage
- Who Invests in Estonia: Raise Money from Top Investors
- Software development for healthcare sector: Expertise in Eastern Europe
- Latvian Startup Tax Scheme Explained: How Will it Work and Who’s Behind It
- Report: Russia’s online economy accounts for nearly 2.5% of GDP