Thanks for reading the fresh edition of the ProCEEd > Newsletter which lets you catch up with tech news from Central and Eastern Europe.
The first full week of September has brought a bunch of interesting headlines from the region, although they were fewer than I expected. Scroll down to check out some major funding deals, the reaction of CD Projekt to becoming a unicorn, and a few longer reads.
By the way, if you’re in or around Kyiv these days, come and say hi to me tomorrow at the Chasopys creative space, where I’ll giving a talk on working with international tech media for startups. The event starts at 19:00, but I’ll probably be around for a few hours prior to that time as well. Check out the event announcement on Facebook—and I’ll see you there!
Enjoy reading, and have a good week!
Serbia’s WordPress management service ManageWP has been acquired by GoDaddy
Blablacar reported to have raised €21.3 million from Russian private equity firm Baring Vostok
Startups & Ecosystems
- Ukrainian visual effects distinguished at MTV Video Music Awards
- Russia’s Skolkovo and RVC will launch three new funds of some €177 million in total
- Russia’s Kupanda and Costmart have shut down
- Russian startup ProctorEdu has joined the EDUGILD accelerator in India
- Russia’s C3D Labs has launched a new visualiser for engineering software developers
- Prishtina to host the FLOSS conference in October
- Allweb conference comes to Albania
- Lithuania’s Trafi has announced a partnership with Uber in Vilnius and Tallinn
- Hacker Games: Klaipėda — Prizes, partners, venue, tips announced
- Two “YCombinator approved” early-stage startups from Ukraine
- The Baltic VC market will be united under a single flag
- Blowing up on Kickstarter, Kosovo-founded Hello brings video conferencing and security to any TV
- Russian VR headset startup Fibrum has announced entering the markets of the US and Europe
Funding Rounds and M&A
- Blablacar reported to have raised €21.3 million from Russian private equity firm Baring Vostok
- Serbia’s WordPress management service ManageWP has been acquired by GoDaddy
- Horizon Capital has purchased a majority stake in Ukraine’s Datagroup
- Russia’s Moscow Seed Fund and ACP have poured some €218,000 in Morskoy Center’s underwater photo and video equipment project
- Lithuania’s PlateCulture, a marketplace for foodies and home chefs, has raised €350,000 to further expand in Asia
- Project Agora with offices in Romania and Hungary has raised €200,000 in funding from VentureFriends
- Russia’s Stafory has raised about €200,000 from FRII
- Czech Republic-based cloud storage company Zettabox has raised its first external funding round
- US tech giants have met Ukrainian software development companies in Seattle
- Ukrainian marketplace Aukro has shut down
- Russia’s WebMoney has added a possibility to pay and receive payments in bitcoin
- Gett to invest $100 million in the Russian market this and next year
- No party in the CD Projekt head office for unique one billion milestone
Governments and Policy
- New US sanctions target Russian electronics companies
- Where can Estonian startups hire developers and find top tech talent?
- The encrypted Underground: Weapons, drugs, and identities for sale on the Russian ‘Deep Web’
- Andrii Bychkovskyi, Ukraine-Poland: What’s good and what’s bad about risk