Thanks for reading today’s–a bit delayed–edition of the ProCEEd > Newsletter.
Judging by the newsletter’s subject, the past week was all about millions. Millions of dollars and euros in funding, millions of users for CEE startups—that’s definitely a sign that the ecosystem is growing rapidly. It’s a great and exciting time to be tracking everything going on in the region.
Scroll down and check out what’s happened in the CEE tech over the past seven days.
Enjoy reading, and have a good week!
DocPlanner has announced a $20 million funding round and a merger with Doctoralia
Prezi has hit 75 million users and enhanced its presentation software with business productivity tools
Startups & Ecosystems
- Russia’s LetterOne will invest up to $3 billion in healthcare startups
- Ukrainian startup Looksery, which was acquired by Snapchat in 2015, will open an office in Kyiv
- Two Siberian universities—Novosibirsk State University (NSU) and Tomsk State University of Control Systems and Radioelectronics (TUSUR)—to launch a joint venture fund
- Russian startup VisionLabs has teamed up with Facebook and Google to teach machines to see
- NUMA Moscow launches its second acceleration program (application deadline: June 19)
- Budapest’s startup ecosystem has been upgraded with a new hub, Mosaik
- Startup Estonia and Funderbeam have launched an Estonian startup database
- Prezi has hit 75 million users and enhanced its presentation software with business productivity tools
- Russia’s FRII will invest €6.7 million to launch a proving ground for IoT projects
Funding Rounds and M&A
- Russian VC fund BG Invest has invested $1 million in Onefit.ru
- Ukraine’s Mymobstr has raised $42,000 from an unnamed angel investor
- Ukrainian smart blinds startup SolarGaps has raised $200,000 in funding at a valuation of $1 million
- Israel business intelligence startup Unomy has raised $2.4 million from Israeli and Russian funds
- Moscow Seed Fund and Pavel Kovsharov have invested €52,000 in CheckMedia
- Russia’s Dream Industries has raised $5 million in funding from a group of investors
- Russia’s Lanit has invested $2.5 million in NFC payments startup CardsMobile
- City Expert, a company operating a real estate website in Belgrade, has received an investment of €700,000 from South Central Ventures
- Insly, a Tallinn-based software solution for insurance intermediaries, has raised €1 million in seed funding
- Ukraine’s Preply, a platform to find foreign language tutors for home or Skype lessons, has closed a $1.3 million seed round to fund its expansion across Europe and further R&D activities
- DocPlanner has announced a $20 million funding round and a merger with Doctoralia
- Ukrainian agritech startup with global goals Agri Eye has secured $150,000
- Russian ridesharing startup Boombilla has raised €400,000 in funding from its founders
- Russian startup #Upnews has raised an undisclosed amount in funding from the Untitled VC in exchange for a 10 percent stake in the company
Governments and Policy
- Competitive video gaming is now officially a sport in Russia
- Embracing Uber, Estonia shows tax needn’t be an issue
- Jailed for a repost: The definition of extremism in Russia gets ever looser
- Techbikers CEE raising 1 million by… pedalling!
- Technology at its peak in Eastern Europe at Techsylvania 2016
- Two days filled with innovation: over 1500 startup enthusiasts gathered for Latitude59
- Be ready to scream on Facebook before signing up for Moscow’s car sharing services