This week you’ll find in the newsletter a healthy number of long reads on CEE tech scene players, including Reuters’ exclusive story on Kaspersky Lab, ex-employees of which claim the company faked malware in order to harm competitors. In other news, there had been a few funding rounds, an imposed and lifted Reddit ban in Russia, and many other exciting things.
Enjoy the reading, and have a good week!
Ex-employees of Russian antivirus firm Kaspersky Lab say it faked malware to harm rivals
Slovakia-founded online paywall builder Piano Media has merged with New York-based Tinypass
- Lithuania has celebrated International Startup Day
- Russian news aggregator Anews has launched its app in Brazil
- 3D printing marketplace Kwambio to go live any day
- Slovakia-founded online paywall builder Piano Media has merged with Tinypass
- Ukrainian Deco.agency has released Mistape, a free WordPress plugin that allows readers to point at spelling and other mistakes on websites
- Ukrainian students have launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise $200,000 for a smart wallet
- Startup Sauna is coming to Budapest
- Polish startup Sher.ly has attracted 1 million zloty (about €240,000) in funding
Governments and law
- Ukrainian hackers have helped stock traders make $100m with stolen press releases
- Russia banned one page of Reddit, which means that about 30% users were unable to access the site at all, but lifted the ban next day
- Ukrainian-born ZeoBIT will pay $2 million in compensations and attorney fees for misleading advertising of its product, security and performance program MacKeeper
- Why does Russian-made Telegram messaging app irritate its competitors?
- Report: TechStars descends upon Krakow
- EYIF: Your DNA is Polish, Your Markets are Global
- Poland, land of ‘IT’ girls, home of ‘she-geeks’
- Six Polish Startups That Help You Do It Yourself
- How a Russian Immigrant Started the Next Major U.S. Beauty Company
- Poland: A promising startup ecosystem with success stories and a few teething problems
- 5 Facts about the Russian Travel Industry from a Local Expert
- Tallinn, Estonia: Baltic city’s global digital ambitions
- Europe’s hottest startups 2015: Moscow
- Dealflow, startup traction and news from Latvia: July
- Russian Startups Are Coming to the U.S.
- Russian antivirus firm Kaspersky Lab faked malware to harm rivals – Ex-employees
- Latvia is an exciting startup country. Here is why