Welcome to today’s summer edition of the ProCEEd > Newsletter.
While startups use the summer slowness to work hard on their products, some governmental bodies are hard at work fighting against tech giants. Over the past week, Russian authorities not only fined Google almost $7 million in the Android-related antitrust case, but also filed another case against Apple, accusing it of price-fixing for the iPhone.
Unsurprisingly, the US tech giant refused to admit that it has done anything wrong, though I doubt it will help it as the investigation moves further.
Scroll down to catch up with more tech news stories from Central and Eastern Europe.
Enjoy reading, and have a great week!
Russia’s Federal Anti-monopoly Service (FAS) has filed a case against Apple on allegations of price-fixing
Uber invests in four European startups: Brigad (France), Otly (Netherlands), Memrica (UK) and Hipromine (Poland)
Startups & Ecosystems
- Romanian startup communities have joined their forces
- New Russian drone technology is a real kicker
- Russia’s Bank Saint-Petersburg will invest up to $3 million in fintech startups
- CEE Startups wanted in Next Media Accelerator
- Editor at Large of TechCrunch, Mike Butcher, has hosted a TechCrunch Meetupin Tirana
- Blinger from Belarus: optimize customer support using messengers
- Ten Ukrainian and Russian startups have landed in the US market via the NYC-based Starta Accelerator
Funding Rounds and M&A
- Ukrainian-founded Rentberry has raised $320,000 in funding
- Uber invests in four European startups: Brigad (France), Otly (Netherlands), Memrica (UK) and Hipromine (Poland)
- Russian-founded fund Flint Capital has invested $1 million in Israeli Epistema
- Russia’s Winter Capital has invested $75,000 in each of three startups—Particle, Gavels, and Eristica
- Russian-founded Altera Capital and Run Capital have each bought a 10 percent stake in the cyber security company Group-IB
- US-based Revel Systems has acquired Russia’s iqPOSitive
- Russian online marketing platform Solomoto has entered the US market
Governments and Policy
- Russia’s Federal Anti-monopoly Service (FAS) has filed a case against Apple on allegations of price-fixing
- Apple rejects iPhone price-fixing allegations in Russia
- Ukrainian hacker involved in a $9 million cyberheist has been extradited to the US from the Czech Republic
- Google has been fined just $6.75 million for breaking Russia’s antitrust law with Android
- Opportunity to study startup entrepreneurship in Estonia: Interview with Alise Lezdina, the Head of Curriculum
- Inside the Estonian startup revolutionizing early-stage startup investments
- This is how the Skolkovo Foundation is leading the charge to take Russian startups global