The past week’s biggest tech news stories in CEE were arguably the deals in which Avast bought its rival AVG, and Ukraine’s Noosphere Ventures acquired the Latvia-founded Ask.fm. The former deal valued AVG at $1.3 billion, while the amount of the latter wasn’t disclosed.
In other news, a few startups have raised sizeable funding rounds, some other made a bunch of announcements—mostly business as usual, check it out below.
Enjoy reading, and have a great week!
Czech Republic-based Avast Software has acquired AVG for $1.3 billion
Noosphere, a VC fund with Ukrainian roots, has bought Ask.fm
Startups & Ecosystems
- Ukrainian-made web browser for developers Blisk has been released for Mac OS
- Four Russian startups—LiveCatalogue, BikesBooking, Real Speaker, SnapSim—will move to Ireland and receive €50,000 in funding each from Enterprise Ireland
- Russian startup Blackmoon has launched its online lending platform in the US
- Russia’s Fibrum goes head-to-head with Google in virtual reality
- Ukrainian startup Roopor turns heads at Publicis contest, receives €100,000 in funding
- Ukrainian startup Sixa has joined the latest batch of Y Combinator
- Big Data startup Knoyd has launched a data science bootcamp BaseCamp in Vienna, Austria
- The OIFF Digital Media Day will be held in Odesa, Ukraine, on July 22
Funding Rounds and M&A
- Czech Republic-based Avast Software has acquired AVG for $1.3 billion
- VC fund with Ukrainian roots Noosphere Ventures has bought Ask.fm
- Ukrainian-American Rallyware has raised $675,000 from Digital Future, WannaBiz, Lighter Capital, and Nick Bilogorskiy
- Russia’s Doc+ has raised $5.5 million in funding from Yandex and Baring Vostok
- Oscar Hartmann, the founder of CarPrice and KupiVip, has invested €1 million in Russia’s CarFix
- Sistema Venture Labs has poured $5.4 million into VisionLabs in exchange for a 25 percent stake
- Russia’s Sberbank has invested in Uber through its SBT Venture Fund I
- Polish serial entrepreneur Dariusz Miłek has acquired a 15 percent stake in the 3D printing startup Zortrax for some €10 million
- BikesBooking, a Russian startup with global ambitions, got a pre-seed investment of €50,000
- Bulgaria’s Netinfo buys 20% of shopping catalogues platform Broshura.bg owner
- Orange Moldova has acquired the cable operator Sun Communications
Governments and Policy
- Bulgaria goes all open source on its government
- Russian parliament has passed the “Big Brother law,” Internet and telecom industry expects hard times
- Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko has promised a better business climate for the local IT community
- Mass surveillance makes encryption ‘essential’ for activists in Belarus
- Russian games market reached nearly $1 billion in 2015
- TechHub Bucharest: Telling the community tales on a daily basis
- Prisma: from Russia with love
- Who makes money in the CEE startup industry?
- How big is the VC market in Poland?
- Lviv holds conference on prospects for IT industry
- Business-friendly And Innovation Oriented: City Of Tallinn