How is it going? Welcome to today’s (slightly late) edition of the ProCEEd > Newsletter!
Today’s newsletter is sent out of Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport, while I’m going back home from the TNW Conference. One of the interesting conversations I had during the event in regards to the tech ecosystem of Central and Eastern Europe was the one with Dirk Ahlborn, the CEO of Hyperloop Transportation Technologies. Apparently the startup has far-reaching plans to collaborate with the government of Slovakia, where it’s pledged to build one of its routes.
In addition to that, a firm in Slovakia will be producing the newly announced material, Vibranium, of which the capsules will supposedly be made. It’s really interesting to see whether this collaboration will boost Slovakia’s tech scene.
Now, without further ado, let’s dive in and see what the past week has brought–scroll down and check out the latest headlines from the CEE tech scene.
Enjoy reading, and have a good week!
Intel has acquired Russian computer vision startup Itseez
Hyperloop startup will use Slovakia-made Vibranium for pods
Startups & Ecosystems
- Vilnius Tech Park will present international development opportunities to Ukrainian startups
- Ukrainian project MarsHopper has become one of the winners at NASA’s Space Apps Challenge
- Ukrainian and Russian students have won medals at the ACM ICPC programming championship
- Russian-founded startup Coub has joined Y Combinator’s summer batch
- Russian corporates have launched several giant startup investment programs
- Estonian-founded Transferwise has officially become a unicorn
- €1 million available for Balkan Startups
- Russia-founded Life.Sreda has launched a global fund for banks to invest in blockchain startups
Funding Rounds and M&A
- People.ai, a startup founded by a Ukrainian entrepreneur, has attracted more than $450,000 in pre-seed funding
- Ukrainian agricultural startup Agri Eye has raised $150,000 in funding
- Co-founders of Russia’s CarPrice have invested $300,000 in Instacarro, their competitor in Brazil
- Intel has acquired Russian startup Itseez
- Russia’s Grishin Robotics has participated in a $2.1 million funding round for Planetary Resources, as well as in a $50 million round for Eero
- GVA Vestor.In, an international venture fund with Russian roots, has investedin the US-based security startup WiActs, as well as a Russian-founded startup Coub
- AltaIR Capital and I2BF Global have participated in a $2 million funding round for Wellth
- Russian startup StickerRide has raised $3 million from Winter Capital
- Startup Locomizer with Russian roots has raised $300,000 in funding
- Hungarian startup Sybrillo has already raised more than $100,000 for its remotely controlled GoPro accessory
- Intel considers laying off some 500 employees across its Russian offices
- Google has appointed Carlo d’Asaro Biondo the CEO of its Russian office
- DataRobot, a VC-funded Boston company, is growing office staff in Minsk, Belarus
- Hyperloop Transportation Technologies has selected Slovakia-made Vibranium for pods
Governments and Policy
- Russia plans its own national cryptocurrency
- Russia considers deploying Hyperloop systems across the country
- Romanian hacker who revealed George W. Bush paintings has
- Russia is working on a taxi to the moon
- Ukrainian tech startup helps small farmers work more efficiently using GPS
- Highlights from this year’s infoShare conference in Gdańsk
- 8 Most Ambitious Startups From Lithuania
- Post-sanction era: Russian businessmen invest in Iranian digital markets
- Pilotless transportation literally takes off in Russia