It’s Monday again, and here comes the fresh issue of the ProCEEd > Newsletter. Thanks for reading!
The past week has brought a healthy number of stories, including rather scandalous ones like the rumour of Google mulling a $1 billion buyout of Telegram. This, however, turned out to be “complete bullshit,” if a spokesperson to the company can be believed.
Startups have been pushing it forward as well, so the sections on funding deals and other announcement haven’t done empty at all. Among the long reads in the bottom there’s also a nice round-up of events that will be taking place in May in CEE—check it out!
Speaking of which, later this week I’m going to be heading to Vilnius, Lithuania, to attend the LOGIN conference. I’ll also be giving a brief talk on Friday, May 6, at 11:00 local time in the Startup Lithuania lounge about the way media are covering the region’s startup scene. Do come along and say hi, if you’re there!
Have a good week, and see you around!
Slovenia’s Bitstamp has received a licence to operate as a payment institution in the EU
Rumours of Google buying Telegram are “complete bullshit,” spokesperson says
Startups & Ecosystems
- Czech Tripomatic and Slovak Sygic have joined forces
- New ranking has revealed top figures of the Ukrainian venture and startup scene
- Latvian startup Pilot will make your old car self-driving
- New Ukrainian TV channel aims “to unite programmers, innovators and investors” from the country and beyond
- Industry conference iForum has named top eight Ukrainian startups
- Award-winning Russian face recognition technology has been used to harass young women and track pyromaniacs
- This Russian website uses neural networks to combine Images, with awesome results
- Slovenia’s Bitstamp has received a licence from the Luxembourg Ministry of Finance to operate as a payment institution and became the first bitcoin exchange to gain such approval in the EU
Funding Rounds and M&A
- Russia’s Run Capital has participated in a $1.4 million funding round for Rezatec
- Czech Republic-based Inven Capital has led a $23 million funding round for Tado
- Three residents of Russia’s Skolkovo Foundation will receive a total of some €200,000 in grants
- Russia’s Taplin has attracted €40,000 in exchange for a 25% stake in the company
- Wargaming has participated in a $10 million funding round for Kamcord for the second time
- Latvian startup Qwixi Tool has attracted €100,000 in funding for the first stage of development of its audio tours app
- Google Street View has come to Albania
- Mail.Ru Group has announced Jungle Clash, a mobile game similar to Supercell’s Clash Royale
- CloudFlare has opened a data centre in Kyiv, Ukraine
- Russia has launched the first rocket from its brand-new spaceport
- Media have reported that Google CEO Sundar Pichai reportedly met with Telegram founder Pavel Durov to discuss a $1 billion acquisition. Spokesperson to Telegram, however, called the rumours “complete bullshit”
- Yandex has announced its financial results in the first quarter
- Hong Kong-based REX Global Entertainment Holdings has purchased a 30% stake in Russia’s Yota Devices for $46.5 million
Governments, Law, and Policy
- Russian government-backed Rusnano has lost $200 million for poor investment decisions
- An Estonian man has been sentenced in U.S. to seven years in prison for cyber fraud
- Belarus on the leading IT radars
- Lustrated Ukrainian naval officer has founded startup to equip army
- 19 best tech events happening in May in CEE
- Growing the talent pool of software developers: Case for Ukraine, Belarus and Hungary