Welcome to today’s Anniversary Edition of the ProCEEd > Newsletter!
A year ago, on April 20, 2015, I sent out the 0-th issue of the newsletter—and have been doing it since then. Over the first year of its existence, the newsletter brought its subscribers more than 1,500 links to news and feature stories about the technology ecosystems of Central and Eastern Europe.
To celebrate the occasion, I’ve looked back at all the stories featured in the first 50 newsletters and put together a talk for iForum, a conference that was held last week in Kyiv, Ukraine. Thanks to ProCEEd >, it’s now possible to see a pretty clear picture of how well CEE tech news are reported by international tech media (hint: not too well).
If you’d like to see the slides, head here. I’ll put some more data on Github real soon, and also post the video of the talk as soon as I get it.
Meanwhile, below is, as usual, another weekly digest of the most significant tech news stories from CEE.
Enjoy reading, and have a good week!
Russian-born application delivery engine NGINX has raised $8 million in funding
Prague-based Sphericam 2 has received an investment of $5 million from Kingnet Technologies
Startups & Ecosystems
- Ukrainian startup Concepter has launched a $38,000 crowdfunding campaign for its “world’s first time-tracker” Soul
- JIC Starcube, the Czech Republic’s longest-running startup accelerator, has a new head and new industries to focus
- Ukrainian tech startup DonorUA aims to encourage blood donation
- Russian angel investor Igor Matsanyuk and StartupHighway co-founder Darius Žakaitis have teamed up to launch a technopark in Vilnius
- Russian startup Cinemood has launched a $75,000 crowdfunding campaign for its mini cinema projector for families
- Russian startup Wicron has been awarded the first prize in the Robotics category of the Global Happiness Technology Challenge in China
- Romania has got its first video game incubator company, Carbon
Funding Rounds and M&A
- Ukrainian-Polish startup Homsters has attracted $600,000 in funding
- Prague-based company Sphericam 2 has received an investment of $5 millionfrom the Chinese investment fund Kingnet Technologies
- Russian-born application delivery engine NGINX has raised $8 million in funding
- Russian startup Zavento has raised €1.3 million in funding
- Russia Partners has participated in a $20 million funding round for PicsArt
- Russia’s 1C has fully acquired the CRM solution provider Megaplan
- Serbian startup Content Insights has raised $1.1 million in funding
- Russian startup Adguard has won €200,000 in seed funding at the Webit.Festival in Bulgaria
Governments and Policy
- Russian government has unveiled plans to launch an e-commerce export platform
- Russia’s top cop wants Internet censorship to fight U.S. ‘Info War’
- E-stonia: the country using tech to rebrand itself as the anti-Russia
- Inside SpyEye: How The Russian Hacker Behind The Billion-Dollar Malware Was Taken Down
- Romanian startup case study: uberVU – from idea to exit & beyond
- Plovdiv: an Ancient City Is Uncovering Its Modern-Day Treasure