Since many of the readers of this newsletter (myself included) had this Monday off, I took a liberty to move this week’s newsletter to Tuesday — hope this makes sense for you.
In today’s issue, there are 26 links to the most important tech news stories from Central and Eastern Europe, including funding deals totalling at more than $50 million, M&A, startup announcements and a few longer reads, such as an interesting Q&A session with Wargaming’s Victor Kislyi by VentureBeat.
Enjoy reading, and have a great week! Talk to you soon!
Poland’s iTaxi has raised $2.1 million, and is now aiming to win the competition with Uber
WoT publisher Wargaming talks about accelerating change in the game business
Startups & Ecosystems
- Bulgarian image recognition startup Imagga brings science and art together
- Czech startup Sphericam to power Virtual Reality videos
- Swedish and Russian businessmen have teamed up to invest in Iranian digital assets
- Russia’s Sistema and China’s TUS Holdings to launch a $100 million venture fund
- Ukrainian company’s invention makes virtual reality more real
Funding Rounds and M&A
- Finnish provider of serviced apartments Forenom has acquired Estonia’s FridayFlats
- Russian startup UberChef has raised some €65,000 from a local angel investor Boris Zhilin
- Ukrainian educational startup Highbrow has raised $150,000 in funding from an unnamed local angel investor
- Lithuania’s Practica Capital has invested €1.5 million in East West Agro
- Russian startup Bookinna has raised some €6.5 million in exchange for a 49% stake in the company
- Vkontakte co-founders’ venture fund Vaizra Investments has participated in funding rounds for Maxwell Health and June
- Poland’s iTaxi has raised $2.1 million, aims to win the competition with Uber
- Russian startup Qlean has attracted $3.7 million in funding from AddVenture
- Serbian-American startup Seven Bridges has raised $45 million in funding
- Russian SDN/NFV solution provider Brain4Net has secured $1.75 million from Rostelecom and Leta Capital
- Russian cryptocurrency startup Dcoin has received funding and offers $100 to virtually everyone who reads its blog
- World of Tanks publisher Wargaming talks about accelerating change in the game business
- Karma.vc: Baltic startups benefited from starting in a small market
- The best tech and startup events in April 2016 in CEE
- Cybersecurity is “a threat and an opportunity for Ukraine”
- Exploring Hungarian ecosystem with Zsolt Bakó
- Science parks: Russia’s secret weapon, or Potemkin village?